When does it apply?
Local Business Enterprise preference applies for:
- Any procurement valued between $5,000 and $25,000*
- Any City contract procured by competitive sealed bid or by Request for Proposal if the estimated contract value is over $25,000*
* LBE is not applicable if State or Federal guidelines prohibit or restrict local preferences of this kind.
“Local” is based on the Columbia-Newberry Combined Statistical Area (CSA). The CSA is defined by the Office of Management & Budget and may be modified at any time. As of October, 2011, the following counties are considered “local”:
My businesses is located in one of the local counties. How do I make sure it is considered a Local Business Enterprise?
A company must be certified PRIOR to bid openings. A business is NOT considered an LBE unless it has been certified by the LBE Compliance Team. You will need to follow the steps below to become certified.
- Fill out the Qualification Statement. This form will need to be notarized. Qualifying companies must meet all of the following to qualify:
- Be independently owned and operated: Ownership of a local business must be directly independent provided that the interest is controlled by the local firm.
- Be In good standing with State of South Carolina: Any LBE must be in good standing with the State of South Carolina regarding its payments of taxes and required business licenses.
- Have a business license: Local business license within any of the 7 CSA jurisdictions. (See What is considered “local”?)
- Have operated for at least one year within the 7 “local” counties: Local business must have presence within any of the 7 CSA jurisdictions for at least one year prior to applying for LBE Certification issued by the City of Columbia. (See What is considered “local”?)
- Have 50% of employees residing within any of the 7 CSA jurisdictions: The applicant will need to attach a list of all owner/employee addresses (Street address, City, State & Zip) and submit with the Qualification Statement. Names are optional. This applies to full-time, part-time and contract employees.
- Submit the notarized Qualification Statement to the LBE Compliance team.
- Qualifications will be researched and verified by the LBE Compliance Team.
Certification is valid for a period of 4 years from issue date. Thirty (30) days prior to expiration, you may submit documentation to re-qualify as an LBE.
Contact the Compliance Team at 1136 Washington Street, Suite 503, Columbia, SC 29201 or phone (803) 545-4185.